Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Joy Of Life Skills

I was really blessed this week. I was given two dozen fresh farm eggs by my daughter's friend. To me fresh eggs are like gold dust. You really can't beat them (well you can, but....) The yolks are so golden that they look orange not yellow and they taste amazing. For most of the year I just use regular eggs from the grocery store, but once the farmer's market comes to town, I'm usually on the look out for farm fresh eggs. As you can imagine, I was over the moon to receive such a wonderful gift so unexpectedly, especially during these hard times.

In the spirit of bon hommie, I decided to return the favour and included two extra loaves in my weekly bread baking session, which my daughter presented to her friend later that day. Not only did it feel great to have produced our own food, but to have shared it 'in the old way' was really quite special.
Being able to create my own food and sew or knit my own clothes were skills that I learned growing up - they were considered 'life skills.' What a shame these abilities have become so derided in recent years. I have been considered very old-fashioned because I can make jam, can fresh produce, bake pastries and cakes, sew curtains and pillow slips, make prom dresses, mow lawns, double dig borders, paint walls, put up shelves and sex rabbits (don't ask!!)

It's the same with knitting. People still think of knitting as something 'old' women do when they can't do anything else. Well, hello! There's nothing old about me, neither in my physical body or my state of mind. I just happen to strongly believe that skills like these should be preserved and passed on, for the good of us all. This old Chinese proverb captures it very well:


"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime."

8 comments:

Kathy said...

Well said. Keep up the good work!

Rudee said...

I wish I lived next door. I'd bring the Earl Grey and jam in order to get a piece of that yummy looking bread.

Jane said...

I wish you did too, Rudee. You'd be most welcome! Earl Grey sounds like a good eggschange for bread too. (sorry, couldn't resist the pun!)

Rose said...

I agree; and it's also good for our self-esteem, if that word weren't already so overused! I used to bake bread when I stayed at home, maybe I'll try again this summer, when I've a little more progress on the weight watchers' regime.

Rositta said...

Good for you, that bread looks yummy. I do all those things but I'm old...ciao

Dawn said...

I'm one who buys stuff, but I do love to knit! LOL! If I lived next door I'd sure ask to watch you tho! ;O) I'd make sure to look pitiful so I could get some of that jam...

sex bunnies?????

Jane said...

Exactly Rose. Keeping costs down by making things from scratch is what enables me to stay home.
Dawn - if you lived nextdoor I'd make you a Christmas basket of preserves, because now I know how much you'd appreciate it. Oh, and the sexing bunnies thing? Another talent I accidently acquired when our 2 female rabbits started behaving in a rather risky way. I just had to be sure!!

Anonymous said...

Hi. Thanks for your nice words in my blog, in regards of my exams. I can se that you have been bissy since last time I visited your blog. The home- baked breads looks really delicious.

Have a Happy Easter :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin