Wednesday, August 26, 2009

EZ To The Rescue


Not last night, but the night before, it rained. It's been so long since I heard rain, that I woke up wondering what on earth the noise was! The garden was almost gasping in relief at finally having a good refreshing downpour, but I didn't feel quite the same. Along with it came some early morning mist and the smell of Autumn, just in time to remind us that it's nearly the end of summer.

My thoughts are slowly creeping towards soup, pumpkins and woolly socks now that I can feel that nip in the air at the start and end of each day. Deep down I'm hoping that, along with it all, my knitting mojo will return.

In an effort to kickstart my knitting spirit again, I decided this week that a new project might be just the thing to get me going. Not that I don't have enough Works-In-Progress (WIPs) right now, but somehow I just don't want to pick any of them up. Perhaps a goodly dose of EZ might be in order? I turned to Elizabeth Zimmermann's "Knitting Without Tears" which seemed like a promising title at least. What I had in mind was her well known "Tomten" - simple, stressless and practical. With plenty of new little girls in the family to receive the jacket, knitting 'for' someone wasn't going to be an issue so I continued my research.

Elizabeth was a delight. Her soothing voice rose out of the pages of her book, inspiring me with their eaze. I spent time on Ravelry looking at other people's versions too (what a wonderful resource that is) and am now about to select yarn. With our job situation now at "Red Alert" I shall be stash diving and hoping for the best with whatever I find there.

Wish me luck.

4 comments:

Almost American said...

I know what you mean about not wanting to pick up any of the WIPs!

Here's hoping the red alert status changes very soon!

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

looking forward to your tomten!

Unknown said...

the tomten is an ingenious design .... almost like origami ..... looking forward to seeing what you create!

Jane said...

Excited by the Tomten. Hoping to have it done for my mum to take back to England with her for my niece.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin